Posted on November 1, 2023
Katal is seeking to hire a Communications Coordinator in our Brooklyn, NY office.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Advocacy
Work Capacity: Full-Time
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Hybrid)
Compensation: $65,000-$80,000 (commensurate with experience)
Deadline to apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We have three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs; and
- advancing evidence-based solutions to promote and secure health, equity, and justice.
Our experience has taught us that through effective community organizing, informed by analysis of systemic racism, we can take on critical problems, like mass criminalization, turn them into winnable issues, and make real changes in the lives of our members and communities.
The Communications Coordinator plays a key role in supporting the organizing team and effectively communicating the organization’s mission and goals to various publics via traditional and social media platforms. This position reports to the Director of Advocacy.
Traditional Comms and Social Media
- Draft and pitch advisories and releases.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, and media outlets and contacts.
- Manage the growth and development of Katal’s social media accounts, including developing creative and copy from beginning to end, resulting in engaging posts in a variety of formats.
- Ensure Katal is represented effectively in the media and across socials to drive engagement and effectively communicate the organization’s mission and work in the community.
- Coordinate with and/or supervise select consultants to create content, including print materials, digital content (text, graphics, video), emails, etc.
- Edit visual content (photos, videos) to ensure high quality posts.
- Tracking daily media related to Katal’s mission and campaigns.
- Monitor and promptly respond to comments and direct messages on various platforms.
- Plan and maintain the social media calendar. Schedule and post all social media content on a daily basis across Katal social accounts.
- Maintain active awareness of social trends, platform dynamics, campaigns, and content to maintain a comprehensive understanding of the social landscape.
- Create and post content on the Katal website plus regular website updating and maintenance (no coding required). This includes Katal’s main website plus campaign sites.
- Manage consultants working on Utilizing Google Analytics, SEO, and other tools to maximize website engagement.
- Maintain Katal’s digital image files.
Digital and In-Person Organizing
- Collaborate with organizing team to develop and refine a social media strategy for growth and engagement.
- Utilizing social media to engage new contacts and members.
- Support with the coordination of online and in-person events and actions
- Coordinate effectively with consultants including website developers, graphic designers, editors, photographers, videographers, etc.
Experience, Skills, and Education:
- A passion for equity, health, and justice
- Background in community organizing is preferred but not required.
- Experience managing social media accounts, dynamic websites, content management systems and online organizing tools.
- Demonstrated experience as effective online campaigner.
- One to three years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Google Suite, WhatsApp, Slack, Asana, Drop Box.
- Understanding of and flexibility in a small team, fast paced environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities within deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Detail oriented
- Analytical mindset.
- Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Strategic Decision Making: Obtains Information and identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieve a long-range goal or vision.
- Strategic Communications: Demonstrates a clear understanding of the organization’s vision/mission and develops a communication strategy to achieve organizational objectives.
- Formal Presentation: Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare.
- Gains Commitment: Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifies one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals.
- Adaptability: Adjusts effectively as work dynamics change and maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the environment. Contributes to Team Success: Actively participates as a member of the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goals.
- Initiating Action: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives and takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required.
- Maintains Situational & Informational Awareness: Tracks and digests new information related to the organization’s work and issues areas and sharing insights and questions with the team.
- Tenacity: Maintains a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- Work Ethic: Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments and tasks.
- Understands and Utilizes work tools effectively.
- Ability to stand, walk, lift, or carry up to 10 lbs. while outdoors.
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
Working Requirements (Travel Requirements, Overtime, Shifts, On-Call, etc.):
- Must attend meetings within the community and with other organizations/community partners.
- Ability to attend in-person actions.
- Some travel required from time to time between Brooklyn and Hartford offices, and throughout the states of Connecticut and New York.
- Flexible to working requirements. Some evenings and weekends may be required to attend events, meetings, or protests within the community.
Compensation, Schedule, Location: This is a full time, salaried, exempt position. The current salary for this position is $65,000 to $80,000, based on experience and qualifications.
Regular business hours are generally 8am – 5pm Monday-Friday, but schedule may vary based on priorities and activities of Katal’s campaigns and will require working evenings and weekends, as needed. This position is based in our Brooklyn, NY office, and some travel in Connecticut and New York may be required.
Katal offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Fully-covered Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Family Planning Benefits
- Commuter Benefits
- Generous Time Off
- Additional Perks
- and more
To Apply: Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “First Name Last Name- Communications Coordinator”.
- One page cover letter
- Your resume or CV
- A writing sample of no more than two pages
**No phone calls, please. While we appreciate all applicants, please be advised that we can only respond to those we intend to interview. For more information about Katal, please visit our website at www.katalcenter.org
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, or criminal records. People impacted by the criminal legal system or the drug war are encouraged to apply.
Do you like this post?