Katal is mission driven, process oriented, and outcome focused. Our work is informed by community organizing methods and philosophies, draws on public health practices and tools, and is grounded in a racial equity framework.
As a state-based strategy hub and collaborative partner, Katal utilizes multiple methodologies to secure practical and lasting change:
- Develop and execute high-impact organizing and advocacy reform campaigns at the state and municipal level, frequently through collaborations with partner organizations who share our values.
- Build leadership and organizing capacity of directly impacted people and local groups –especially among people most impacted by policies we want to change
- Leverage work at the municipal and county level to advance state-based reforms.
- Utilize public health research, tools, and methodologies.
- Provide training and technical assistance for organizing, campaign development, advocacy, communications, and more.
- Measure and evaluate the impact of our work and its transactional and transformational outcomes.
- Practice facilitative leadership, a co-creative model centered on deep collaboration.
Building leadership and developing the capacity of directly impacted people and local groups –especially among people most impacted by policies we want to change – is at the core of our mission and vision, informing every aspect of what we do. By producing more leaders and more effective advocates, we seek to strengthen communities and sustain the impact of our work together.
We practice and teach “shared leadership” and “facilitative leadership” models wherein any given campaign roles and responsibilities are rotated and buy-in is cultivated to shape group decision-making. This helps staff and members cultivate meaningful ownership of the work, develop skills through hands-on practice, and show how to have an impact on the power structures that have caused harm.