Posted on June 28, 2021
Job Title: Community Organizer
Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled.
Location: Hartford, CT; currently remote due to COVID-19. Applicants must be based in Connecticut. We will return to work from our Hartford office in fall 2021.
About us: Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We envision a world where all communities have the resources and power to exercise self-determination and participate meaningfully in the democratic process.
We launched in 2016 with three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs;
- and advancing solutions to promote and secure equity, health, and justice.
The Community Organizer is focused on building the membership base and developing leaders from the membership. The Community Organizer works closely with our members, staff and partners in Hartford, New Haven, and throughout Connecticut to take action, build power, win campaigns, and more. To facilitate outreach, engagement, recruitment, member development, and, of course, actions, the Community Organizer uses traditional community organizing tactics and digital/online organizing tactics, including use of online action tools, database management, phone, video calls, emails, text, social media, etc. Candidates for this position must be comfortable using tech in their organizing –or be ready to quickly learn.
Responsibilities of the Community Organizer include, but are not limited to
- Building a strong member base of people impacted by mass incarceration and mass criminalization
- Developing members into leaders that play prominent roles in campaign planning
- Preparing members and leaders for public speaking and media interviews
- Working with members to plan, organize, and facilitate regular Monthly and Weekly Meetings
- Mobilizing members, supporters, and volunteers for actions, including supporting the work of partner organizations
- Utilizing the database to track outreach and engagement
- Developing materials — including flyers, signs, materials, social media posts, emails, and more — for virtual outreach, education, lobby days, and actions
- Engaging in legislative advocacy and participation in public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and virtual lobby days
- Participating in coalitions across Connecticut
- Building relationships with new organizations
- Coordinating with Katal organizers in Connecticut and New York
- Taking notes, tracking, and reporting on activities – written and verbal
- Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff
- Work on some evenings and weekends required.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Community Organizing experience: At least 3 years community organizing experience. Online / digital organizing experience a plus, but not required
- Work Standards: You are able to set high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Adaptability: Adjusting effectively as work dynamics change; maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goals.
- Continuous Learning: Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Tenacity: You are able to keep focused and working on a goal until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- You are a community organizer and are looking for opportunities to develop and grow.
- You are keenly interested in the mission and goals of Katal; you are committed to racial justice.
- You enjoy working as part of a team.
- You are a problem solver, hungry to dive into new challenges with lots to learn.
- You are an excellent communicator and a great listener.
- You are motivated and driven.
- You attend to the details.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is $55k-$68k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers competitive benefits and perks, including 100% employer-covered health care, dental and vision; mobile phone reimbursements; life insurance; gym reimbursements; vacation days; and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
Schedule: Regular schedule is business hours EST, Monday thru Friday. Schedule varies based on priorities, and will require working some evenings and weekends, as needed.
Location: This position is currently REMOTE, and will remain so until at least fall 2021. Candidates must be able to travel in Connecticut.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- Your résumé, or link to a LinkedIn profile.
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions: Where did you start organizing, on what issue, and why? Why do you want to join Katal?
- If you have work related social media handles, please share them in your application.
- A list of three references
Submit your application materials by email to [email protected] with the subject line: “First Name Last Name – CT Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please do not call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or disability.