Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled.
Location: Hartford, CT: periodically remote due to COVID-19. Applicants must be based in the Greater Hartford area and be able to work out of our Hartford office.
About us: Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We envision a world where all communities have the resources and power to exercise self-determination and participate meaningfully in the democratic process.
We launched in 2016 with three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs;
- and advancing solutions to promote and secure equity, health, and justice.
About the position: The Apprentice Community Organizer is a member of the Organizing team, building Katal’s base and developing the leadership of our members. As an organizer-in-training, the Apprentice Community Organizer works closely with Katal staff and partners throughout CT to grow membership, build power, win campaigns, and more.
This position is designed to train people for a full-fledged community organizer role. The right candidate may have zero organizing experience, or they may have ample experience and are now seeking to learn organizing as a core methodology of social change. Apprentices who complete the training program will be offered a position as a full-time community organizer with Katal.
The Apprentice Organizer reports to the Director of Organizing.
Responsibilities of the Apprentice Community Organizer include, but are not limited to
- Building a strong member base of directly impacted people
- Developing members into leaders
- Preparing members and leaders for meetings, facilitation, public speaking and media interviews
- Mobilizing members, supporters, and volunteers for actions
- Utilizing the database to track outreach and engagement
- Developing materials for outreach, education, lobby days, and actions
- Participation in public forums, coalitions, conferences, and lobby days
- Completing studies related to the apprentice program
- You are ready to learn.
- You are interested in community organizing.
- You are keenly interested in Katal’s mission and work
- Tenacity: You are able to stay with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary is $20 – $23.50/ hour (commensurate with experience), plus full benefits. Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; gym memberships; access to commuter benefits and 401k retirement plans; and more. Katal offers a generous vacation plan and significant professional development opportunities.
What you need to know to apply: As is standard with community organizing jobs, there will be work on nights and weekends. Travel throughout the region, and some travel in the state, is part of the job. Those who successfully complete the apprenticeship will be prepared for full-time position in community organizing.
Please prepare the following:
- A one-page cover letter that explains a bit about who you are, and why you are interested in this apprenticeship.
- Your resume (if you have one) or a link to your LinkedIn profile (if you have one). If you do not have a resume or LinkedIn profile, please indicate this in the email when you submit your cover letter.
Submit your application materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “First Name Last Name – CT Apprentice Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the job is filled. Only applications received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – do not email or call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, criminal legal system involvement, or disability. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.