Search
Close this search box.

Rampant Sex Abuse Against Women In Rikers Will Be Investigated: Mayor

Share This Post

By: Matt Troutman, via Patch

NEW YORK CITY — Accusations of rampant sexual against hundreds of women by guards in Rikers Island that led to a combined $14.7 billion in damages sought by lawsuits will be investigated, said Mayor Eric Adams.

Adams contended Tuesday that he was unaware of the scope of accusations until he read a bombshell Gothamist report released that morning.

The Gothamist report delved into 719 lawsuits filed by women, who had been housed at Rikers, under a one-year window for sexual assault survivors to file lawsuits outside the statute of limitations.

The women’s accusations span decades and contend officials at the troubled jail knew, or should have known, about abuse committed by guards and other staff.

“I believe that we need to have a complete investigation to determine the outcome of it,” Adams said.

Read the full Gothamist report here.

But Adams — who himself faces a lawsuit accusing him of sexual assault — stopped short of making any concrete promises.

He has fought against a growing chorus of officials and advocates who have called for a federal takeover of Rikers.

The report also came just days after a man — Michael Savage, 51, died in city jail custody. He was the 31st person to die in jail or under Department of Correction custody since Adams took office, advocates with the Katal Center said.

“Every week news continues to break about the horrors unfolding at Rikers,” said Melanie Dominguez, lead organizer for the Katal Center for Equity, Health, and Justice, in a statement. “The situation is untenable and cannot continue like this – it will only lead to more death and harm. Rikers must be shut down.”

More To Explore